Saturday, August 8, 2009

PAUSE: Insert Israel

So while I am aware that I need to insert legs 4 and 5 to complete the story of my Exodus, I would like to relate a few moments of my stay in Jerusalem this past week. I leave tomorrow, so I figure, here's my opportunity. Here is a list, entitled: Why I Enjoyed/Got A Lot Out Of My Time In Israel. Enjoy.

Why I Enjoyed/Got A Lot Out Of My Time In Israel:

1) There was lots of FOOD. I think I ate most of it. And it was all Kosher L'Mehadrin.
2) Bronfman paid for my first night of entertainment (and food) at Chutzot HaYotzer where I bought pretty things and heard Ivri Leider in concert (you only heard him on youtube, sorry)
3) I got to go to the Jerusalem Wine Tasting Festival at the Jerusalem Museum with a bunch of my friends from Penn who I won't be seeing for some time. Obviously ran into some people from my youth group and high school days, as well as old friends from Seattle. Obviously had a little bit too much to taste. Obviously had a wonderful time.
4) I went to Ramallah and saw a refugee camp for the first time. Really interesting to be exposed to that immediately after Egypt. Ramallah is cleaner (the garbage dust is finer in Ramallah), smaller (27,000 people vs. 7 million in Alex), and more messed up (they speak a weird Semitic language dubbed "HebrAic" that will probably remain unrecognized by the international community for years to come).
5) I went to a 40th-anniversary revival of Woodstock and was pursued by some sweet hippies from Bat Ayin who were trying to recruit my friends and I to the "Acharit HaYamim" (End of Days) Festival that was taking place the next down down in the West Bank.
6) I got to take a hike in the environs of Hadassah Ein Karem with my friend {shout out: SHIRA!} and her new hubby. And I got to see their house. And be introduced to Mivtza Safta. Rockin'.
7) I had my first Shabbat dinner at a friend's {shout out: RACHEL!} sister's {shout out: NOA!} Bat Mitzvah. Lovely davening, lovely food, (lovely dessert), lovely view, lovely company.
8) Had Shabbat lunch at my home-away-from home with real home-cookin' and learned that cheese, figs and balsamic vinegar are a wonderful combination.

Lots more but must fly. Watched Australia tonight. In its spirit, I present you with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. Its my favorite version.

2 comments:

  1. YES! love it. love you. miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm in the blog!! yeah!!! wonderful to see you... waiting for next time around...

    ReplyDelete