Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Snippets of le Maroc

I finally managed to get my pictures to work again. My friend Yanik helped me download resizing software. So I'm experimenting with picture locations. Bear with me.
Here is the view from our "balcone" out into the street. The fish market is to your right, and immediately below is the Hanut (makolet) general store.
This THE room. It gets incredibly hot at night and the only thing to do is sit out on the balcone and breathe.
Political djelaba. Articles about American bombing Afghanistan and Israeli oppression are sprinkled over this fashionable
So these pictures are out of order -- sorry. Two Above: one of the many signs of American globalization. Dora the explorer balloons at the Ramadan carinval/fairground. Immediately Above: The chicken truck. Baria may think that the word for chicken is "kitchen", but she has no problem leaving a kitchen in her chicken (or the other way around) with its feathers and legs still attached...and then serving it up for dinner.

Above: My feet in awesome Moroccan "baboush" that everyone wears. I didn't buy them, but I was tempted. Below: I don' know how to turn images yet (taking baby steps) but its a display of skin treatments, mostly types of soaps. I tried to eat them when the vendor brought them to my nose. Mistake.This is a door in the Kasbah, the most ancient part of Rabat (sorry, I'd turn it if I knew how). Its part residential and part glorious garden. The residential part was originally inhabited by Spanish ex-pats in the early 18th century who's real estate is now being slurped up by wealthy Europeans and Americans.
The view from the Kasbah cafe:

TURTLES in the souk. They're sold live, killed, and then used as, yes, decoration, in people's homes:






On the left here is a view of the road along the sea that has come alive at night after f'tour -- O Ramadan, we have such a strange inexplicable relationship... Below is my closet of perfectly folded clothing. Khadija folded EVERYTHING. Including all of the underwear. And then rearranged it. I couldn't find anything for two days.













Here we have Tour Hassan -- it is unfinished. It stands at 44 meters and is next to the mausoleum which was built much much later (1960s I think) guarded by the sentries above. It's a tribute to the first "independent" king of Morocco, Sultan Yacoub el-Mansour in the 12th century. He wanted it to be the largest Mosque in the world, but he died before it was finished. The minaret is 44 meters high, and was meant to be closer to 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment