Thursday, April 30, 2009

Learning

Today is my birthday. Yay 21. Very exciting. But that's not what I'm thinking about. I'm thinking about the next 15 or so months of my life. I just got out of the "cultural orientation" for Morocco, and am presently sitting in the Africa orientation. I'm learning that I don't know what I'm getting into.

I'm learning that men will want to talk to me if I smile at them. I am learning that I won't be able to go anywhere without male accompaniment. I am learning that I will have close to negative "alone time". I'm learning that I might need to lie. I'm learning that I will be able to live more cheaply than I ever imagined possible. I am learning that I will, in all likelihood, become depressed during Ramadan, which conveniently begins just as I arrive (August 21!) and lasts - as you know - for a month. I am learning that I will inevitably fall in love with Morocco, travel in Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, and Arab culture. I am also learning that I will need to learn to be lonely.

Which brings me to this post's song: "Learn to be Lonely" by Andrew Lloyd Webber from Phantom of the Opera. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. no loneliness.
    erotic.

    (ps. the note that i found on top of the spices made my day. Estee- May you cook erotically. Loved it. Laughed so hard.)

    ReplyDelete